Visit App
January 1st, 2022

New rules for international road haulage in 2022

Are you ready for new rules for transporting goods to, through or within Europe using cars and trailers & vans from 21-05-2022.
The new rules will apply to you if you use - Vans with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) over 2,500kg (2.5 tonnes) and up to and including 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes). Vans towing a trailer with a gross train weight (GTW) over 2.5 tonnes and up to and including 3.5 tonnes & cars towing a trailer with a GTW over 2.5 tonnes and up to and including 3.5 tonnes.

You will not need a goods vehicle operator licence if any of these apply:
you only use your vehicles in the UK
you are transporting goods on a non-commercial basis (not for ‘hire or reward’)

From 21 May 2022, you’ll need a standard international goods vehicle operator licence to transport goods in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

This will apply to you if you’re based in Great Britain or Northern Ireland and use vans or other light goods vehicles (sometimes called ‘light commercial vehicles’) vans towing trailers, cars towing trailers for Hire & Reward.
You’ll need to either: add the vehicles to your goods vehicle operator licence (if you already have one) or get a goods vehicle operator licence for the first time.
When applying for an O licence, you will also need to appoint a qualified International Transport Manager / CPC holder.
S.E.T.S. may be able to help with a Transport Manager & the O licence application, depending on your location.

Share this article...

Comments (0)

No comments have been submitted yet.
Why not be the first to send us your thoughts

Leave A Comment

Submit Comment

Thank you for your comments, they will appear shortly once approved.
Sign up for the latest news and industry updates
Content Managed by SETSWebsite Design & Hosting by Scaws